After releasing an article accusing Prime Minister (PM) Shehbaz Sharif of embezzling British foreign assistance money intended for earthquake victims, the British publication Daily Mail has issued an apology to Sharif.
Details suggest that the piece by investigative journalist David Rose has been taken off from all Mail publisher sites.
However, it should be noted that Daily Mail did not issue an apology for their coverage of the TT controversy and the claims of money laundering against PM Shehbaz Sharif.
In a clarification posted on its website, the Daily Mail mentioned that their article concerning PM Shehbaz titled “Did the family of Pakistani politician who has become the poster boy for British overseas aid STEAL funds meant for earthquake victims” was published on July 14, 2019.
After conducting an investigation into Prime Minister Shehbaz, the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) released a report that suggested the funds in question “included a not insubstantial sum of British public money that had been paid to the Punjab province in DFID grant aid,” according to a statement.
It said that the Prime Minister has never been accused of misappropriating British taxpayer funds or DFID grants. To clarify, “we are glad to make this clear and apologise to Mr. Sharif for this error,” Daily Mail said.
The story stated that while PM Shehbaz Sharif was chief minister of Punjab, he stole money intended for disaster relief from the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).